My #Blogher11 Round-Up And Why No-One Should Feel Alone At BlogHer!

SOCIAL MEDIA | | July 13, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I thought about skipping writing a BlogHer post this year. Yup, I decided I could not pull my own act together myself so I should save others from taking advice from someone like me. I mean fashion wise I suck and organization wise is… well let’s just not go there. I have written several posts before and I am recycling  a few here (all in my aim to be greener). I do feel that they ALL match the mood so I just want to get it out of the way and link them here.

Before BlogHer:

Post BlogHer:

The spouse’s dilemma:

The attendee’s anxiety:

So now that I have all of that off my chest (they’re pretty awesome right? the posts not my chest – I personally love them and had to share), we can move on the crux of this post. A few days ago someone tweeted about worrying they would feel alone at BlogHer. While I know many people now, and consider myself pretty confident, I also know that feeling all too well. I did cry as I was overwhelmed by the magnitude of the event 2 years ago. I also set myself up for disappointment when I held bloggers I revered unto probably unfairly high standards. And sometimes I was just plain shocked that people were not as inclusive as I had seen them online to be.

As a kid when you are returning to your old school after summer you are all excited to see your buddies but can you imagine going to a new school? That is akin to what a blogger feels when it looks like everybody, and their aunt, seems to be hugging in the lobby while you try not to look awkward and pretend not to feel a tad bit hurt to feel left out. Sure when you are all staring star-struck at panels or in your room it may not matter to you but really the heart and soul of conferences is the bonding experience.

So I really wish every blogger has a wonderful time. I don’t care if you get into that private party you have been eye-ing, I don’t care if you missed getting awesome swag and I really don’t care about your outfit – I do, however, care if you feel you are lonely and wish you could talk to someone. The one thing I do know is that within that sea of bloggers there are several amazing people just waiting to be discovered – with you being one of them. So make an effort say hi, and if they look over your head (and yes many will), don’t let it stop you from saying hi to the next person.

I would love to meet you and you can always tweet me if you ever want a quick chat. And if you want to be guaranteed to find me come check out me speak along with my friends Amy and Stacie (both fabulous friends mind you) on Friday at 2:45pm in a Room Of Your Own session. So if you are keen to meet other bloggers leave your twitter id below and let’s all make sure we all have a wonderful experience at #BlogHer11!

See you in San Diego!

Tags:

@Sprmama says:

I loved loved loved your posts! Thank you. I’ll be at BlogHer for the first time and can’t wait to meet fellow bloggers, but at the same time a little apprehensive.

Christine says:

I seriously can.not.wait to see you… I’ve missed you, my friend! xo

loved meeting you last year in NYC at my first BlogHer and look forward to a chance to see you again in San Diego.

Sara from Saving For Someday says:

I can’t wait to see you, Niri! I often feel overwhelmed at big events like this, but I am always on the lookout for people standing off to the side because I know that sometimes a friendly hello is all they need to feel part of something. That’s how it is for me, so I really want to make people welcome if I’m able to.

Thanks for this lovely post!

Mwah,
    Sara

I never forgot how we first met :) Your a wonderful person who’s always friendly to anyone no matter if their big time blogger or small time. Anyone who meets you is the lucky ones. Enjoy your time at BlogHer! I’m holding out for Blogalicious :)

Heidi says:

Well, not going to BlogHer (but hopefully one day I will), but you’ve already made me feel wanted and accepted there if I ever do go. have a wonderful trip!

You know I want to meet you. Thanks for these posts.:) @AMomBlog

Your posts about this have all been so upbeat, honest and downright helpful. Awesome.
    I hope to have half a second throughout the whirlwind weekend to have a chance to come say hello to you!

ginabad says:

We missed each other at Reviewer’s Retreat, hopefully we can meet up here! I’ll be putting that session on my agenda. Thank you for sharing tips. I struggle, too, with large meetings and mixing.

Niri, You’re lovely, insightful and generous here, as always. Anytime you need a hug at BlogHer, just find me and my arms will be open wide. @Squashedmom. M’kay?

You’re the real deal…you are. So nice to post this for all those that are definitely feeling the anxiety. It can be overwhelming for all, so great to know there are still kind people that think of others first. Lesson learned..
    Can’t wait to see you again!

Alexandra says:

HOLY COW.

What a list for me to research.

I will be here for an hour. Please don’t be scared it’s a troll.

THANK YOU.

This will be my first conference ever.

I want to be mentally prepared.

Alexandra says:

Oh, yes: MY TWITTER ID.

I am going alone, for the first time. Hug me, please?

@GDRPempress

Tia says:

Thank you for this post. This is my first Blogher and I have been worried since none of my bloggy buddies will be there. I hope to get to say hi!
    @tiasavingcents

Great advice for the blog attendees! This will be my second one, and I experienced a lot of what you talked about (couple of alone moments, a big blogger looking around the room for someone bigger than me)but it was a mostly positive experience that made me want to do it better.

I also went to the smaller SITS Girl conference in Boston (great talk Mommy Niri!) and that really helped boost confidence in networking and reaching out to other bloggers through Twitter and Facebook. Hope to see you in San Diego!

twitter: members_lounge

Sherry says:

Niri, this is exactly why I immediately loved you when I met you at the Mr. Popper’s Penguin press junket – you are so open and warm to everyone and made me feel like I’d known you forever. You are truly a ray of sunshine.

breanna says:

you are the absolute best and I want to hug you for this post!!