Earth Day Roundup!NEWS | Nirasha Jaganath | April 23, 2011 at 10:25 pm
Well, what is that you say? I’m a day late? Well I was doing earth-y stuff. Yeah, yeah, I know we normally do earth stuff everyday and should care about it everyday, which is what we do do (just ask my kids about their paranoia about recycling), but I do believe there is importance about declaring a day and making a hoopla about it. It is like a birthday, you should be treated special everyday but having that day is a great reminder.
There were so many special things happening I needed a roundup.
- Not only did Arthur have a special episode for Earth Day but kids can take the Go Green Challenge (http://pbskids.org/arthur/thetreehouse/gogreen/index.html) on the ARTHUR website.
- Sid The Science Kid also had special tv episode focused on Earth day. Sid offers these Top 5 tips to be kind to the Earth all year long:
- Don’t waste water
- Reduce air pollution
- Plant a tree
- Preserve animal habitats
Links of interest
Activities/Eco stuff for kids
- Miracle-Gro has come up with the little planting kits. All you need is water and voila – your own little greenhouse. I got a sample of one and I gave it to my 4 year old’s class. I love that they planted the cucumber seed and now the entire class uses it each day to talk science. How perfect is that?
- African Dwarf frogs. I covered this before so go read up on why they are excellent for kid learning everyday.
- Insect Lore Butterfly Garden – this is a lovely kit where you send a form to order live caterpillars and get to watch them transform into butterflies. My favorite part? – you get to set them free. I am yet to try this, but I am going to try it this year.