A Girlfriend’s Guide To BlogHer!

SOCIAL MEDIA | | July 27, 2010 at 8:26 pm

So I have been seeing posts and talks about BlogHer and I really did not want to post this. I mean even though I have been to BlogHer before these posts are starting to make me feel like I should be more involved. Seriously stalking the #BlogHer10 hashtag crazily means you should #getalife. So why in the world am I writing this post? Well I feel I have to get it off my chest – It is a conference and seriously the hype is driving me crazy.

Sure there will be many influential bloggers and brands in NYC (I pity the poor soul who is in the Hilton NYC to vacation) but take a deep breath people. This is not a do or die place. If you don’t take it easy you will miss the best part of the conference.

Try to share…
  • rooms. Not only is it cheaper it is a lot of fun.
  • energy - volunteer if you can to get cheaper/free tickets. I also love volunteering so I can get to know people better as we work.
  • your warmth – if you are giggling girlishly with your peeps and notice a blogger sitting alone – strike a conversation. Also be mindful if she wants to be alone.
  • cabs. New York is many things but it ain’t cheap so buddy up to events.
  • phone #’s. Trust me, there will be a swarm of people and you want to make sure you get to meet some of your buddies IRL (in real life). Quickie coffee catch-up is the best thing about any bloggy meetup.
Don’t care about…
  • What you wear. Wear what you normally do – everyone else will get over the shock. The only one advice I would offer is wear comfortable shoes. Dress up if you want and dress down if you want, but the best dress you can have is confidence!
  • Attending every session. In fact I would suggest choosing a few that you really care about and attend just those.
  • Snotty attitudes (read my post of why big bloggers need to be nice to small bloggers). You paid your dues so you deserve to be there just like everyone else. Remember to be nice.
  • Missing private parties. Will they be fun and have awesome swag? You betcha but you can have fun anywhere (if you let yourself) and most of that swag will be collecting dust somewhere shortly anyway. There are more than enough public parties and the best party is the one you have with your friends.
  • Packing too much – leave space for stuff (and yes there will be stuff).
  • Spending all your time listening to a company pitch. This is your time and you need to invest it as you see fit.
Dare…
  • To be you. The benefit of being part of the blogger group is that, contrary to popular claims, there is no president of the group. Your blog, your way!
  • To promote yourself. When you get sponsored you would talk up and push that brand, right? So to remember you are your brand. It cost you money to get to this conference, so in the the words of sweet Tim GunnMake it work

I am sure I missed something and would love my girlfriends to pitch in.

PS: I will be volunteering at the registration desk so be sure say hi, you get a free hug if you bring chai/tea/coffee!

Tags: , ,

NICe!!1 I can’t wait to see you next week.

Thnank you so much for this post. It makes me feel much better about my decision not to dress up.

Great post. I’m not going to BlogHer10 but I’ll tuck this post away for my next conference.

Nadia says:

Fabulous post! I can not wait to finally meet you in person!

As always….you are heavenly. Spot on.

Loukia says:

At first, with point number 4, I saw ‘carbs’. I was like, ‘yay! someone else is avoiding carbs like me, until Blogher!’ then I re-read it… cabs… ohhh…. ;)

Chrysa says:

Great post – - – really puts everything into perspective!

Megan says:

Awesome. You totally nailed it!

Reality check! Love it. Thanks for posting. My chest feels lighter too.

Jessica says:

Have a blast! These are great tips! I am so sad that I won’t be there, but hopefully I can use these for another upcoming blogging event!

Y’know, at last year’s Type A Conference, which was the first time I’d ever heard of you…I hopped up and applauded something you said. It was logical, honest and right to the point. Since then I’ve done the same thing (figuratively) from my sofa about a number of things you’ve written – this post is no exception.

So, you should probably stand by for a hug at BlogHer from a total stranger. Just sayin’… ;)

marty says:

Ri, I didn’t meet you at Type A last year, but I can almost guarantee you that right after you jumped up and applauded, I nominated Mommy Niri for President of the mommybloggers on Twitter. She really did rock that microphone!!!

Kelly says:

I love your advice. Can’t wait to get a cuppa with you!

Lisa says:

Hi Niri! Thank you so much for a great post. I was one that tweeted what the heck to wear to BlogHer but now I know it doesn’t really matter. I can’t wait to see you and even I don’t have a chai/coffee, I want that free hug anyway!! LOL

These are excellent tips! The connections I made last year at BlogHer were priceless! Can’t wait to see you again Nirasha!!!

Molly says:

And yet another post that reminds me just how much I adore you.

Right on. It’s my first time hitting the conference, but I don’t feel like a newbie because I am just clueless enough not to care about all the external crap. The only place I know I have to be is onstage at 4:45 on Friday to present my VOTY keynote, and the rest of it will work itself out.

~j. says:

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing you again next week!

Tamara says:

Simple and too the point, yet honest and fun to read. Fab post Niri! Only wish I was able to have a mini “Child Hunger Ends Here” reunion with the rest of you. Enjoy and I am posting a link to this in my Blog Conference Newbie post tomorrow.

Jen L. says:

GREAT advice! I”m so happy to hear someone say that what you wear doesn’t matter. I think of the women I have online friendships with through my blog and I cannot imagine them judging me for wearing jeans instead of a cocktail dress to sit in a cold room listening to speakers all day, ya know? Can’t wait to say hi to you at the reg. table!

Loved this post! OK I admit to stalking the blogher hashtag, but that’s how I found this post so it can’t be all bad right?

I am also volunteering at the registration desk. Hope to see you there!

Jill Felska says:

Great post, Niri! Looking forward to finally meeting you in person! :)

Miss Britt says:

I volunteered at the registration desk last year and am kind of bummed I won’t get that chance to say hi to so many people in one place again this year. It was so fun!

marty says:

I won’t be at BlogHer this year, but I hope I can get you a cup of coffee and a hug in Asheville in September.

This is a great post. Wonderful advice for newbies and for alumni!

thanks for these awesome reminders! It’s a networking event not prom. And there really is something for everyone here.

Alexandra says:

I’ve read a lot of BlogHer posts, but this one was very encouraging. I’m still afraid to go… feel too small and foolish to be there. This was an excellent post… thank you!

Claudia says:

This is a great post! We (at SkinnyScoop) are also very excited to go to this conference this year an meet such fabulous bloggers!

You should definitely add this post and any others that you may have to our BlogHer Blog Post Roundup guide: http://www.skinnyscoop.com/list/SkinnyScoop_Staff/posts-about-blogher-11

Claudia says:

Oh BTW! I noticed that there are a lot of bloggers commenting on this post saying that they are going to BlogHer11….if you haven’t already make sure to add your self to out attendees guide which could be found on The Unofficial Guide to BlogHer11 :)