5 Things That Surprised Me At Evo!

FRIDAY 5, MY VIEWS | | July 8, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Yes, I am slow – deal with it. I figured I better hit 2 stones with my Friday 5 series and a mini roundup of Evo. Here are 5 things that  amazed me.

• Some of the speakers were strangers (to me). After having attended so many conferences you get to see exactly the same people speak. Here there were new blogger and brand faces and I loved that. It certainly lent to the appeal to me actually wanting to meet everyone.
  • I could not find the divas! I am sure they were there but there were enough of enough of (non-diva) bloggers just wanting to be supportive, learn and have fun that it must have drowned out any diva drama (if there were any).
  • I attended sessions. The topics of many sessions normally fun the gamut from being too basic or too repetitive. When you have sessions where you together build a social media plan for Make -A-Wish it sounds pretty concrete (and after the tearful keynote from them you definitely feel better off making an impact).
  • I actually learned a thing or two. I attended the monetizing session with a ho-hum attitude as the topic was covered before – and I only attended as I had followed some buddies in it. I was actually shocked that speaker after speaker news was, well news – to me.
  • Kleenex should have been a sponsor. No really! Ok, I get that everyone cried as Heather Spohr (The Spohrs Are Mulitplying), Stephanie Quilao (Noshtopia) and I (Mommy Niri) did the opening keynote, but then bright and early we went to keynote by the Make-A-Wish team (and they brought a kid with them) . I only managed to attend the last 15 minutes of the keynote but I bawled like a baby – yeah there was no place for elegant crying here. But really I get to the photography workshop, you read that right – a photography workshop, and hear stories of bridging families in different countries with photographs and the flood gates open.  I mean seriously crying in a photography workshop – hard to believe, right? Oh, I did learn many a lesson even in that workshop.

A special thanks to Tiny Prints who partially helped cover my costs to Evo!

Carina says:

It was a serious amount of fun, I learned so much, and everyone was truly amazing. Wonderful to be in the presence of so many smart and capable women. Loved meeting you!

BenSpark says:

Niri,

This conference was an eye opener for me as well. When I started talking about people that I knew from other conferences and in the online industry and got funny looks like, who is that guy or that girl I realized that there are so many great people out there working it on their blogs and kicking major butt. I also realized that they were kicking butt without feeding on every word of the so called gurus and that they were making their own way and being their own heroes. That was really awesome.

Kleenex certainly should have been a sponsor because I also cried like crazy throughout the weekend. It was so good to do it though. Above all else I came home energized and enthused about blogging again.

Kelly says:

I am so glad I went, not only for the wonderful conference but since I got to spend time with you!

I agree Kleenex should have been a sponsor. I think that was a recurring thought from everyone! LOL

Your keynote was so moving. Thanks for sharing yourself with us. :)

PS Told ya we didn’t get a picture together!!

Lauralee Hensley says:

I’m glad you didn’t find any diva drama’s. I mean who would have needed that.
    Glad you had fun and learned things that I’m sure you’ll bring into your blog to make it even more enjoyable to your readers, me being one of them.
    Thanks for all the hard work you do,
    from this non-blog owner.

Gena says:

It was definitely a great conference! It was great meeting you and listening to your story!

Helene says:

I really enjoyed your keynote speech and like you I was expecting divas and high pitched interjections and instead I met some of the coolest women one could meet. I enjoyed lots of the session too although I missed a couple by being a speaker too. Looking forward to being there next year!

lisa says:

I wish I would’ve been there. Well I’ll see u at BlogHer!!

PS Check out your link on my shout-out post ;)

Barb says:

Love the picture of us in the suite. Such a good one and I agree! My biggest complaints of the conference were: not enough kleenex and the sessions were so good I never got a break during the day