Silly Bandz And Other Little Things I Learnt At Sandbox Summit

THE PAPA POST | | May 25, 2010 at 9:55 pm

1. The top selling toy on Amazon is not Barbie, Lego or video games but Silly Bandz.

2. Nearly half of top 100 apps in iTune stores are for pre-K and elementary kids (iLearn – A Content Analysis of iTunes App Store’s Education Section, Joan Ganz Cooney Center).

3. Traditional television is evolving to give audiences what they want (anytime anywhere access). You can still watch TV shows and movies on Hulu for free (only for US audience). Of course, you have to watch commercials to cover for free content.

4. PBS is the most trusted institution in America followed by “courts of law” (Brigid Sullivan, SVP Interactive and Children’s Media, WGBH Boston).

(Disclosure: I was given media pass to the event)

Tags: ,

My boys just now started getting into Silly Bandz. But, it wasn’t because of any marketing or their friends.

During our recent trip to the DR, Amanda (of Ohamanda.com) gave the kids who went on the trip Silly Bandz. The kids gave them to the local kids in the DR. Now, I will always have a hard time telling my kids no to them because it will bring up his life-changing trip. I want him to always remember the spirits of those kids he shared with!

c2cmom says:

Those Silly Bandz make me chuckle – they’re *rubber bands*!! So simple. (I type as we’re waiting for three new packs to arrive in the mail…;-) ) Nice seeing you at the summit!

Jennifer B says:

My daughter saw a friend wearing so she wanted them, I never even heard of them before

adiaha says:

OMG! THe Silly Bandz craze here in Brooklyn is huge! It kinda happened over night and now every kid under 12 has them and they trade with all their friends!

Now if I could just create a super inexpensive toy that EVERY kids likes and woudl sell MILLIONS in less than a year, I’d be set!

Pam Laux says:

Even the high school kids are collecting them. Many schools in our area have “banned” the bands. They were causing kids to lose focus at school; playing & trading them. I agree with the kids, they are cute!

Schun says:

I still don’t understand why some school in USA banned Silly Bandz. I just think that they are cool and funny for kinds.

jennifer olivero says:

I had 93 silly bandz and my brother hads 92 he needs 1 more to get the something.

jennifer olivero says: