Holly Robinson Peete’s New Book “My Brother Charlie”! (Autographed Giveaway – 3 Winners)CONTESTS, REVIEWS | Nirasha Jaganath | April 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm
Congratulations Amanda (autographed copy), Elizabeth & Michelle
Most people are aware of Holly Robinson Peete, in fact I have not watched her recently but have been a fan since 21 Jump Street (I know showing my age). When I heard about her new book, co-written with her daughter Ryan Elizabeth Peete, called “My Brother Charlie” and that it was about autism I was intrigued. The book spoke about living with and playing with an autistic kid and I wanted to know if she really had an autistic kid. So I began to google to find out since I somehow feel uncomfortable about a story on autism unless it has personally touched the author (unless it is a clinical book written by some doctor). I did indeed find out her son was autistic.
The story of a sister describing her life in very simple terms of her brother. I read it the very same night to my girls. I read through the parts describing Charlie, the autistic brother in the story, and how he sometimes got quiet, got angry, played alone and found it very difficult to make friends. As I read I felt a lump in my throat, then my older daughter said “but Mama that is just like me!” and the floodgates opened as I could barely control myself. Simply said this book just makes it easier to be a conversation starter.
This is not a book just for autistic kids, it is a book for everyone!
I just saw the updated number, now it is 1 in 110 kids are autistic. As much as I know therapy helps our autistic children to be able to be a part of society and act like it, I do know that it takes a long time (and who knows even then) but it is really time that everyone understood autism. Like it or lump it, it is something we all have to deal with. Quit staring at a kid thinking they must be misbehaving, quit judging! I for one am sick of it. I myself am tempted to buy a ton of copies of this book to distribute in schools.
We will be having a conversation in a few days with Holly Robinson Peete herself so keep an eye out for it. Until then you can win a copy of her book “My Brother Charlie!”
Want to win the book “My Brother Charlie!”?
—Edited 8th April to increase # of giveaways and have one autographed!
One lucky winner will win an autographed copy and 2 more winners will get a copy of the book. To win tell me why you think you should get this book? Contest closes 12th April 2010 . To earn extra entries, after you have left a comment, do one of the following, but make sure you leave a separate comment entry for each extra thing you do. This gives you additional ways to win the contest.
- Join Mommy Niri Facebook Fan Page. Already a fan (thank you)? Just list your name below and state you are.
- On Facebook? Follow Mommy Niri’s blog on facebook and leave a comment here (even if you already are)
- Subscribe to Mommy Niri (and verify the subscription to be valid) and leave a separate comment that you did. Already a subscriber (thank you) then leave a comment stating you are
- Follow @ThisIsRamesh (and leave a comment here)
- Follow @MommyNiri on twitter and retweet (use the green retweet button, on top of the post, for easy access)
- Post this contest to your facebook status (use the easy Facebook button on top of the post for easy access)
- Have a Blog? Follow Mommy Niri and leave a comment that you are a follower.
- Have a Blog? Grab my button from the side bar and leave your URL in the comment.
- Have a Blog? Blog about the contest and leave the url of your post.
Don’t forget to visit out other fabulous giveaways on MommyNiri.com
Disclosure: I received the book to review.