How To Unfreeze Nook!

THE PAPA POST | | March 13, 2010 at 10:37 am

UPDATE – You can win the Nook Color!

While reviewing the Nook (the eReader from Barnes and Noble) we asked our readers what their thoughts were. There were concerns about the Nook freezing and though we love the Nook we also love our readers. We were baffled with what we could do to help. We found that there were already troubleshooting steps out there and finally came up with the idea to add pictures. While both Mommy Niri and I are both pretty technical people (at least coming from Software Engineering backgrounds you would hope so) we felt that adding pictures would hopefully make those instructions easier to digest.

We take no responsibility for the instructions, they are not ours, we merely added our pictures.  Another wonderful service provided to you by MommyNiri.com

Happy reading!

Oh and you can win a Nook too!

We are listing the steps below but you certainly will want to check out the video!

1. Hold the power switch on nook for 20-30 seconds until it shuts off completely.  This should resolve the freezing issue when you turn the power back on.
2. If nook still freezes, you may need to remove the battery.  Face nook towards you and turn it upside down.  At the very top of nook, you will see the USB port with an indention next to it.  Place your middle finger on the indention and use the palm of your hand to pry the back cover off.
3. Now you should see the battery exposed. Remove the battery using a small screwdriver, similar to one associated with repairing eyeglasses, to remove the screw.
4. Connect nook to the AC wall adapter without the battery installed.
5. At this time, you should see “Device is starting” on the screen of your nook.
6. Replace the battery and screw while nook is connected to the AC adapter.
7. Verify that the yellow light next to the USB port is on. This indicates that it is charging.
8. Allow nook to charge using to the wall adapter for a minimum of 1 hour to ensure proper charge.
If these steps do not help, please call the Barnes & Noble help desk  at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and request Digital Support.
Tags: ,

Pat says:

My Life In France by Julia Child is my first choice.

frances says:

If your color nook is froze and will not turn on or is on and will not turn off or do anything remove the end of the charging cable from the end you use to plug into an electric outlet and connect it to a computer and leave 10 or 15 minutes and it will start working agan. this fixed my color nook .

Nancy says:

Will never recommend a Nook to anyone. I get so tired of it freezing up. You are not always at a place you can open it and charge it by electricity.

I am so disappointed in it.

theresa says:

Worked perfectly. Thanks for the excellent instructions. Is anyone experiencing the page turner buttons cracking and has anyone had B& N replace their Nook for this reason.

karen says:

my page turner also cracked….B & N replaced with no questions…..now trying to get my new nook unfrozen…..not too happy at this moment

• 3.1.1
        Shellene says:

The first one I had my pager turner cracked also and it was working fine and then when I went and gotten it replaced the new one started freezing on me and now it wont unfreeze I am soooo leaning towards getting rid of this and getting an iPad.

Tracy says:

Thank you so much! Taking out the battery and plugging it in without the battery brought it back to life.
    Holding down any combination of buttons did not work at all for me.

Zoe says:

Thank you so very much!! I love my nook and just by holding it for only five seconds brought it back to life. The pictures helped too. I wasn’t really sure how you opened the back. But thanks to you, now I do!

LueLue says:

OMG thank you thank you thank you this video helped so much, I had to open up the back and take out the battery this is the first time its happend to me so i kinda panicked when it froze all of a sudden. Again thank you!

Thank you for posting the instructions. I’m dismayed that this procedure even has to exist on the net. I realize that the Nook is relatively new technology and expect a few bugs here and there. However, a complete freeze that requires disassembly and external powering while replacing the battery seems beyond the scope of a bug to me. B&N should fix the freezing problem and then issue a recall in my opinion. Very disappointing.

jharbert says:

Did all the steps—nothing changed :-( Will be calling for support. Thanks anyway……

nooki says:

This did not work for me, my Nook has the screensaver, Oscar Wilde, sitting there without the battery. I plug in the power, which is connected to an outlet not my laptop, and nothing happens. I’ve waited hours unplugged and plugged…nothing. Any other idea’s? Oh, I haven’t used my Nook in about 3 months.

Peter says:

Sounds like my problem. I wish I could help. The only way to unfreeze this worthless device is to plug into a 110v source – into a computer won’t work.

Jamie says:

I had the same problem. Frozen on screensaver without the battery, I plugged it in and it did not do anything. I called my local B&N and she said I need a new battery (She also said they do a free battery replacement, so it sounds like a lot of people might be having the same problem) She said it will fix the problem, and if it doesn’t “we can look at doing something else, but this will probably fix it”. I am planning to take it in after work, and hoping that it will fix my problem. I wanted to read so bad last night because I was right in the middle of a very interesting part of the book..

• 9.2.1
        Jennifer says:

Did the battery replacement work. I could not get any of my books to open, so I tried shutting it off and turning it back on, hopeing to reboot. My screen froze at the Your NOOK is starting up. I cannot get it to go away, even pulling the battery will not work.. I too was so looking forward to reading last night, ended up doing it the old fashion way, with paper!!

melturtle says:

All I did was plug in my nook (with the battery inside), then pressed the “n” button with it plugged in and “VOILA”! Try it!

Maggie says:

After wating on hold for 25 minutes, BN support told me that the above instructions do not work. Instead I should take out the battery for 30 minutes, replace the battery, charge for 4 hours and then call back. Support said to not plug it into the outlet without the battery because this will not work. My nook has been freezing for the past week but eventually comes on after pressing buttons. This is the first time it has turned off and will not come back on at all. It was fully charged this morning??

Scarletta says:

Thanks SO much! I charged my nook from 8 am-4pm (my stupid mistake). After I unplugged it, it froze for hours!!!! I thought it was broke! After following these instructions-Voila!

Tracy says:

SO helpful! Thank you!!!

Crissy says:

I hate my Nook. I’ve only used to to look at sample books because it freezes up every time. To affraid to buy a book because of this problem. Now today I try and turn it on (fully charged battery) and it doesn’t work unless it’s plugged in. I’ve complained to Barnes N Nobles the first week I had it and they never did anything about the problem. I’ve also sent several e-mail about the problem. I bought it brand new for like $300 and it’s garbage. Next time I will get the IPad!

ICE8 says:

Often, the issue is caused by battery drain. Seems that power management of the Book could be improved, and configurable…

1. Take out the battery, and let sit for half hour.
    2. Press and hold the power button for 2 minutes.
    3. Put battery back in after the 1/2 hour.
    4. Plug in for half hour, then hit power button.
    5. Unplug briefly, then plug back in, ensuring that Nook is on and charge light is lit.
    6. Allow battery to charge fully, being careful not to overcharged.

Guille says:

Thanks dude, that’s the only way i could save my nook from hell,

Bob says:

I just tried this after all of the other attempts failed and this one worked.

• 14.2.1
        Angie says:

Oh my gosh! Thank you! I tried all of the other solutions and this is the only one that worked! Thank you for posting! I actually used my kitchen timer so that every step was perfect…

Karin says:

Thank you sooo much! This worked when nothing else did!

nook owner says:

Just wanted to chime in that this worked for me as well when NOTHING else would.. cannot stress enough that these directions should come with your nook.

Janna says:

OMG thank you so much. I was convinced (after trying everything else) that my nook was done for and would need to be replaced. Taking the battery out for a while and letting it sit and then replacing it and plugging it into my computer actually worked! I’m so relieved! I was just getting to the exciting part in my book, too.

Michelle says:

Thank you for this information. My Nook would not unfreeze after doing everything else suggested. I guess I am lucky this has only happened twice now to me. I’m keeping this information for later just in case.

david says:

this worked for me thanks

Richard F. says:

Holy cow, man! How the heck did you come up with this solution?! Thank you so much ICE8. I got my “bricked” Nook back after ~4 months and initially trying other documented procedures requiring only 20-30 seconds of holding the power button. My long BART rides (Bay Area Rapid Transit) will again be filled with productive technology readings. Great job, ICE8!!

Patty says:

Too many hiccups for me. My nook continually freezes, even after the battery has been replaced (new one) and I have hard restarted numerous times. I think I have 4-5 books on my nook, and partially have read them all, because of the freezing problem. I am not using it anymore.
    I plan on using kindle for my laptop.

I feel badly for my husband that purchased this for me for Christmas in 2009. Here it is Christmas 2010, and I certainly haven’t gotten the enjoyment out of it over the last year that he hoped for.

anthony GiGante says:

My Nook has a frozen screen. Haooened two days in a row.
    Also, Page-Turner buttons (left side) no longer function
    Please advise.

BillB says:

Tried all the fixes i could find on the net yesterday and screen stilled locked up. tried the same again this evening, no luck again. called customer service which took 45 min. and found out that it had to be replaced. they said this could not be done locally so they took my credit card, said they would ship a new one, and if the old one returned within 7 days, the card wouldn’t be charged (all shipping seems to be pre-paid at least). Just came to put back together and put up nook for shipping and the darn screen has changed… all systems normal. I am thinking about smashing it against the wall, but i’ll bet they charge my card on the return.

Death Metal Nightmare says:

seriously one of the worst devices ever designed

EcchiKitten says:

Thank you everyone on saying what to do. My Nook froze just this morning and I was freeking out because I thought I did something to it. From what it sounds, I might have to wait a long time before I can read any of the new books I got for xmas on my Nook.

Tonia says:

This is the worst thing ever made… B&N should be ashamed to call this one of theirs, they should do a recall on this. how do we go about getting them to do a recall on this junk. To think I waited on a waiting list to get this junk. ANYONE READING THIS AND THINKING OF BUYING A NOOK DON’T ITS NOT WORTH IT.

Meghan says:

On my second Nook. First the screen went now it is frozen. Get a kindle. The Nook is waste of time and money.

Kerri says:

Got my nook more than a year ago (and us much as I hate to say it),it is truely the biggest piece of crap I have even owned. It was a Christmas gift from my husband and I haven’t finished reading a single book on it. It CONTINUOUSLY freezes and is a waste of time. What a complete disappointment…Barnes and Noble should be embarrased to put it’s name on it.

Sandy says:

I owned my nook for over a year no problems ever, until I loaned it to my daughter who let the nook battery go completely dead. When we charged it (after a month of non use) the screen froze. If you read the instructions it states never to let your nook’s battery go dead always keep a charge on it. I think that’s what caused the malfunction. I love this websites video it’s so helpful and worked. Thank You!!!!
    I have purchased the new nook color in November and Love It!! Haven’t had one issue with it. My family loves the Lend Me features.

Abby says:

This has happened to me several times and it always happens right in the climax of the book I’m reading. Today for some reason it froze on a blank screen… So I thought maybe it’s not frozen I must’ve forgot to charge it or something so I plugged it in. After staring at it for ten minutes my baby came back from the grave and it said it was updating -_-. All that moping around for nothing. :)

Cato33 says:

Sounds like the same problem everyone else is having! Crappy battery (although I’ve used it NO MORE than 6 hours), frozen screen…I shouldn’t pay that much money to sit there and hold buttons, remove batteries, cross my fingers and speak softly and gently to make it behave!!! Support said they’d send another out and I’d have to return this one. Wondering if I could just get a refund (and get the Ipad?) or if they would let me pay a little extra and get the Color Nook (which does not seem to have these issues). Any thoughts?

Fernando says:

It worked plugging it to my computer. No need for a/c

Celestine says:

THANK YOU!!!!!! I tried this method and my screen was still frozen, I left it plugged in to take my son to school, when I came home it was working!
    You are a life saver!!! I love my Nookk and this is the first time it has frozen since I got it 5 monthes ago!

Jaimee says:

I love my nook. I think it’s funny how half of the hate comments are from older people that just can’t figure out how to keep it in working order. Everything freezes once in a while. Even the ipad and the nook color.

Callie says:

I am very dissapointed in my nook i was on vacation in london with a couple of friend. I had decided to read before bed andi click on the power button and part of thescreen was stuck on my screen i was so mad and scared and i tried everything but nothing work anyone have any ideas?

Joyce K says:

Well, I am at freeze 2. First one did everything here, ended up calling support. Got all ready to send it back and it suddenly started to work. Worked for months now it is all frozen again. Let’s see if I can get it started with out the loooong customer support. My hubby also was thrilled to buy it for me as a gift. Not so pshyched about it right now. Might be back at the store with it soon.

DebbieQ says:

Thank you! I have a Nook Classic that has worked like a charm since I received it Christmas 2009. This is the first time it has frozen up and I frankly didn’t know what to do.

Rod says:

Our Nook was dropped and froze on the screen it was currently on. The yellow LED light would not illumnate. I tried various fix it instructions on various forums, including B&N forums, to no avail. Tried removing the battery and plugging the nook in to go through the booting process. Nothing. Tried various reset and rebooting instructions on various forums to no avail.

Here is what I did to restart the booting process which is a technique not mentioned on ANY forum. 1). Plug the nook in without the battery inserted 2.) Keep the power button pushed down continously 3.) As you keep the power button pressed, insert and remove the battery repeatedly for a few seconds at a time. After several removals and insertions of the battery, the nook rebooted and unfroze.

After every single fix it tip failed and I was about to purchase a new nook, the procedure above began the rebooting process, and it works like a charm now.

Dez says:

My Nook Classic froze today and I’ve had it for just under 3 months. I’m reading ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ series and panicked because I NEED to read this series.

Anyway, all I did was plug my Nook into my computer and hold the power button down; you should notice the Nook ‘blink’ a few times. When I saw the start-up dots I let the power button go and now my Nook is fine. Just hold the power button until your Nook starts to ‘blink’ and let it ‘blink’ 4-5 times.

Not all stuck problems are the same but hopefully this solution will help some Nook users.

william says:

I work at a barnes and noble store and the the lack of training that was put into the nook is non existant. If you have any problems with your device, do yourself a favor and look at a forum before going into a store or calling nook tech support. Trust me, people who have had similar problems with their devices know boatloads more than the so called experts.

t says:

Maybe you should tell people it only works for nook colors so they don’t open it.

Thank you. Worked like a charm. Instructions were different & better than what I got calling tech support for Nook previously. Loved the video.

Sarah says:

THANK YOU!!!
    the pictures helped me lol
    I couldn’t figure out were the battery was until i found this and now my nook works as good as always =)

Audrey says:

Thank you so much!!! I went through my problem with Nook Tech Support twice and nothing helped. They had me try all kinds of things. The key factor that your video did differently then tech support was having me plug it in while the battery was out.
    Thanks again!

Kellianne says:

None of these methods worked for me, but then I plugged it into my computer and it instantly un-froze and is working perfectly again.

Laura says:

My NOOK color froze. Where is the battery on this thing?

Sunny says:

The Nook site says to remove the battery, then put the battery back in and then charge.
    I called support today & was told that if you take the battery out, then plug it in without the battery in that it can damage the Nook. When I followed this procedure, the light came on but the Nook didn’t. Of course, now I have a machine that is ONE MONTH out of warranty, that I’ve called support & told them I did something suggested by this video, only to be told I probably damaged it further and am probably S.O.L. (Nook support didn’t say this directly, but this is what I got from the conversation)
    Why can’t things just work the way they are supposed to?!?

btrfly says:

The first time removing the battery and putting it back in worked. This time I removed battery and had to plug it back in without the battery for it to start rebooting, then it froze during rebuting. Argggg! Well finally got it to turn on by replacing the battery as soon as it started to boot! I have the black and white nook. Good luck everyone.

pdovers says:

Thought Nook was dead for good this time. Looked at owners manual. It says take battery out AND LEAVE IT OUT for 30 MINUTES. Then out battery back in and charge nook for 2 hours. IT WORKED!!!!

Bob Williamson says:

This is ridiculous! Mine has froze, i tried these steps and it still won’t turn on! Load of rubbish

nookless says:

Yeah…and good luck with tech support. Very unknowledgeable,from my exprrience.

I do consider all the ideas you have presented to your post. They are really convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are too brief for beginners. May just you please extend them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

Nook Color Owner says:

my nook color froze so all I had to do was turn it off… and on!

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I in finding this matter to be actually one thing which I think I’d never understand. It sort of feels too complex and very huge for me. I’m having a look ahead on your subsequent put up, I will attempt to get the grasp of it!

click this says:

Tremendous issues here. I’m very satisfied to see your post. Thank you a lot and I’m looking ahead to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?

marsha says:

Want to watch viedo’s again. Something y’s did in Dec update took that away from me.

I am not certain the place you’re getting your information, however good topic. I needs to spend some time studying much more or working out more. Thanks for magnificent information I was in search of this information for my mission.

Jordan says:

Well my nook in color is not turning on… So What do I do???
    Any tips??