Friday 5: 5 Ways To Deal With That Tantrum!FRIDAY 5 | Nirasha Jaganath | March 4, 2010 at 9:10 pm
Before I had kids I lived in the sheltered life of what a tantrum was. I mean surely I never had one? What on earth causes our cute-as-a-button kid to turn into something that makes you want to dig your head deeper in the soil than any ostrich could? I mean one minute they are as happy as a bee and the next like something possessed. The probability of one happening is in direct proportion to when you can least afford it (like a hand full of groceries, no spare clothes, when you are driving etc, at a formal event). To pay homage to that dreaded “visitor,”, I am dedicating this chapter of Friday 5 series to Tantrums!
Here is my unofficial list to deal with that tantrum:
- Bribe! What? Don’t pretend like you don’t do it.
- Have one yourself! The more the merrier. Maybe seeing you cry out like a banshee may just shock the lil bugger into silence.
- Boogie! Put on music (and ensure the volume is way up) and start to dance (no previous dance experience necessary). Sometimes the beat drums out the antics of the kiddos. Even if it does not work, maybe it may just drown out the noise.
- Starbucks! (or whatever drink sails your boat – just keep it non-alcoholic). There is nothing like a cup of chai (tea) to make the world a better (and quieter) place. The drive-thru Starbucks in my neighborhood has been my oasis on one too many occasions.
- Let it be! If you have the patience, and ear plugs, sometimes just letting them ride it out will just be enough to get it off their chest.