Friday 5: 5 Promises For 2010 That I Aim To Keep!

FRIDAY 5 | | January 1, 2010 at 8:53 pm

DSCN2623

I feel all giddy inside to write this. You know writing my resolutions for 2009 was actually my 1st Friday 5 in the Friday 5 series, and I cannot get over that I finished 52 whopping posts! Not sure how I managed to get through but bumping into a friend, when I was late with it, asking for it was sure to make me thrilled yet guilty. I actually thought of stopping it this year.  You can pick up your lower jaw from the floor, as I decided to give another year a try. My resolutions, or promises as I would like to call them, are small steps and hopefully wiser than last year.

• Stop being the garbage disposal! You know that noisy gadget crunching out leftovers in your kitchen sink? Only thing is mine as been out of order for the the past 6 months so I can’t recall what that sound is like. Well, since I have grown in the clean plate society and also coming from South Africa, throwing away food is a tough one. So I have been eating leftovers, only thing is 2 kids can have a lot of leftovers, ask my ever widening hips if you think I lie. Well, I am going to (try to) stop treating myself like a garbage disposal. I certainly smell better than that!
  • Don’t do it unless I love it! I have pushed myself through the gamut in 2009. Some were worth the added effort, and many left me feeling frustrated. Around Christmas time I was at an event that I felt I really did not want to be there and made a decision to not feel so compelled to do things that I don’t positively love (well except taxes I guess).
  • Play more! Although I am a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom) sometime along the way I became a WAHM (Work at Home Mom) and with no childcare options it meant I was trying to work in between squabbles and screams amongst children who felt that naps were some nasty monster to be avoided. I made a choice to stay home with my children since I felt for me nothing could be more precious than helping mold these young minds. It bugs me to no end that I over committed to events and activities (both work and social) and missed many moments with my beautiful darlings. Though I regret nothing about the investment of time and effort in my blog, I will be a little more selfish as to what I commit my time to. For social events I plan to not do them unless I totally love them. My time with my family is more precious than anything.
  • Date more! Before you go WHAT?, let me assure you that my date would be the handsome dad of my babies. In between juggling 2 very young kids, job losses, a volatile economy and my fledgling startup with no family in sight to help has left little time for anything else. Couple time is definitely higher on my agenda, as it should be!
  • Live and laugh more! I used to be daring. I used to be funny. Just somewhere along the way of having a million hurdles to jump over and always having someone’s snotty nose to wipe I got exhausted. There are sporadic moments where I have outbursts of energy but I intend to be a little more challenging this year. I refuse to toe a line going nowhere or to keep being an audience at someone’s parade when I see they never intend to give anyone else a turn on stage. Life is just too bloody short to waste fretting about anything.

NYCityMama says:

GREAT PLAN! Yes! I applaud your list…and see a much happier you at the end of the rainbow. Kudos darling!

Kelly says:

I love your list for today!
    Maybe instead of eating the leftovers you could serve the kids less food or serve them leftovers? That’s what we do and it usually works. I’ve been known to recycle the same meal more than 3 times on ‘em.

The play more is a big one for me this year. In gaining my self, and building a fledgling blog in the past year I have spent less time with my kids then I need to. It’s a tough balancing act but one I plan on doing better with.

Thanks for sharing.

hicksgirl93 says:

what an awesome list. I can totally relate and wish you much success for you and you’re family.

Jennifer B says:

Great list! I hope you meet your goals!

Very good list. I’m sure we all could take one or two of your goals and make our lives better.

Hollee says:

I’m with you on the garbage disposal (great analogy) and date night … the others, too, but those two were my favorite. I am trying to get back on track with healthy eating, and my husband and I have actually kept a steady weekly date night for the last 11 years. It’s just always been our priority and I think that’s one reason I’m still so in love. -H

Anonymous says:

It is great that you plan to follow your heart. More power to you and hope you have a wonderful new year.

I have to say one thing though. On one hand you have a post that says “Being invited to any party is really an honor, maybe it is time to remember that!” and on the other hand you dishonor your host by saying, “I felt I really did not want to be there”. We all end up being at some point or another at a party and not being terribly excited about it, but really would you convey that to your gracious hosts on a public blog. Especially if you attended multiple Christmas events – you have left all your hosts wondering – is she talking about my event?

Not cool!!

Dear Anonymous, thank you for taking the time to not only read but also comment. I truly appreciate the time it takes, which also brings me to that point about the party. I need to take another look at how I am over-extending myself with events. True, this past Christmas I attended several parties but my issue was with the fact that I accepted so many invitations which made me feel burned out, something I need to work on. I think all my hosts are smart enough to realize that I do consider being a guest a privilege but the fact with over-committing is my scheduling or rather over scheduling issue in discussion here and not their hospitality.

Congratulations on 52 Friday 5′s in 2009, that is an incredible accomplishment!

Great list, too! Looking forward to seeing what Mommy Niri has in store for 2010! Happy New Year.

kamani says:

Mommy Niri – Thanks for sharing your 2010 resolutions with us….knowing you, you can accomplish anything you put your mind to. Go for it!

I know for sure that the dating and healthy resoulutions are going to be my DECADE resolutions.