Friday 5: 5 Reasons I Have No Chance For Mom Of The Year Award!

FRIDAY 5 | | October 23, 2009 at 9:11 pm

DSCN1719

Ok, so I never pretend to have it all together. In fact when I started the Mommy Niri Friday 5 series I did with so with resolutions for the year, knowing I had to get my act in gear. It is no surprise that the year is almost done (what do you mean it is only October, have you not seen the Christmas stuff out already?) and I am still as out of sync as ever.  I think it is time to not just throw the towel in on winning any award but to embrace my situation.  There are way too many things that won’t get me nominated to be Mama Of The Year, but thankfully Friday 5 means I only get to spill only 5. Hey hang around my blog long enough and you will get well acquainted with all the others.

1. I don’t do housework! Well I do less than the bare minimum so little trust me you would not even notice. Anyone who has the guts to say anything is promptly reminded that I left my (lucrative) career to become a SAHM not a housewife. Sure I blamed it on the kids at first and now I  declare that my blogging is the culprit. Someone even gave a snarky comment about how I can blog if I have no time to clean, HELLO, which would you rather do? Exactly!
  2. Pizza is fine for breakfast, right? Ok, so I mix the meals up a little but I figure that as long as the food in a day is overall healthy, it should be ok. Plus, this reduces the whiny behavior in the morning since I was obviously up the previous night blogging. To all those moms rolling their eyes at my kids devouring this, bite on this: My kids love vegetables!
  3. We have Pajama days all too often. Sometimes it just is not worth the battle tugging on clothes onto unwilling bodies so we spend the entire day in pj’s. Pretty liberating, actually. Also I will never be a poster mom for those pretty little frocks with barrettes in the hair. I hardly dress the kids up so family portraits are rarity. Maybe it is my laziness speaking or lack of being able to primp my own self, but it just looks stifling to me. Some kids I have seen with such meticulous dressing and not a hair out of place and I wonder what their moms do when they engage in messy play (and don’t tell me moms don’t let them to do, I want to pretend that all children do).
  4. I don’t do crafts, bake or sing. Well I do but not as much as I would like to. In fact one of my favorite friend Ali’s blog has the most awesome crafts and I salivate after it like I do when Food Network is on. Yeah, I am a spectator girl.
  5. I scare my kids with monsters. I know good mamas concoct all sorts of wonderful stories to scare away the monsters, but not this mama. I use the power of monster tales to speed up the bedtime process. There I said it and it is really less awful than it sounds.

Ok, so let the judgement begin, just one thing: Be Nice!

Tags: , ,

Allie says:

Niri! I was laughing and agreeing along with you then I saw a shout out to me **blush** ! My love of PJ days are recorded on my blog every 2nd day or so… I say it’s cause he just woke up but often he is in Pjs all day long and when the paint dries on one pair he gets into another. They are just so darn cute in jammies.

I am in awe of your use of Monsters as a tool, I am too soft. My son is going to be a terrible teen.

Dddiva says:

And that is why we love you.
    Hahaha most of that I could have written.
    And the crap in girls hair- after 4 girls and being one myself I can tell you all it does is give me a headache to look at. My kids were ripping them out within seconds and mostly we didn’t even get to the cute pics part of the program they hated them that much.

I can never understand the moms that fuss over their kids hair. I can think of nothing less pleasant. My girls have had short hair for so long b/c the thought of having to do their hair every day gives me hives. And, as soon as my kids were old enough to dress themselves, they were on their own—-I don’t care what they choose to wear as long as it is weather-appropriate— you will never catch me asking them to change b/c things don’t match.

I prefer the term “Low Maintenance Mothering”, btw. ; )

Ha! I totally am with you on all of these. I knew there was a reason we got along =)

The only one I’m not guilty of is scaring with monsters, my girl is a scaredy cat, if I so much as raise an eyebrow she cries, lol.

Amen sister!!

I could have written this myself. :)

Selfish Mom says:

Oh my, you’d fit in perfectly around here. In fact, don’t come, sounds like you could replace me pretty easily and nobody would notice.

Cyn says:

Niri! This was not only funny, but it also applies to SAH-non-moms like me. All I can say is “hear! hear!”

Love it! Love it! Love it! You have validated me! No longer will I try to pretend to be a perfect mommy! (I’m wearing pajamas RIGHT NOW! Yes, it’s 7:00 pm, but I’ve had them on all day…now that I think about it…I’m not sure if my kids have brushed their teeth today. You are so much cheaper than a therapist. Thank you so much! I feel free.

Kat says:

Niri, were we separated at birth? That must be the case because I could have written that post. Well, maybe not the monster part; my daughter is easily scared but I’ve thought about it. Does that count? I’ve just discovered your blog and am definitely a new fan!

Corina says:

Niri: It seems like you and I were cut from the same cloth.

Quiskaeya says:

LOL!!! Oh how this post hit right home for me!! You are in good company lady, so don’t feel ashamed about not getting the mom of the year award. Most of us SAHMamas won’t get one and we are proud of it. LOL