The BlogHer Hangover!

MY VIEWS, NEWS | | July 28, 2009 at 9:25 pm

dscn06411

It seemed months away, and that gave me hope to get into shape, but somehow the time flew and so did those dieting hopes. I tried in the last few days to not get caught up in the whole hysteria. I packed very little and prided myself on taking it easy.  I had already registered for all the parties and did not bother sweeping the conference agenda very finely, as I would figure it while there. I regretted not being more active on twitter weeks before, instead plugging away post after post and just dropping the one liners in twitter. I knew my lack of passion spent with with the chit chat would easily make me an outsider, but I was in my 30s for heaven’s sake and did not care. People could care to see me for me, right?

You have to realize that other than the one night to deliver my second baby I have never been away from home so this was a big (and scary m0ment) for me. What better opportunity than to be with 1500 women to help get my mind off my babies?

What I loved about BlogHer?

• The ability to dress anyhow and be yourself.
  • The excitement of being part of a group by virtue of being a blogger
  • The food, especially the lunch, which catered to the vegetarian in me.
  • Providing booths to “recycle” swag.
  • The smooth organization and planning at some of the parties.
  • The ability to pamper us, especially moms who don’t easily have access (and funds) to that type of pampering.
  • The ability to draw sponsors of alarming qualities and quantities.
  • The free wifi arranged for BlogHer!
  • Managing to meet many of my twitter friends.
  • Hearing someone say “I read your blog!”
  • Meeting so many amazingly powerful, yet down to earth, people.
  • The opportunity to have wonderful experiences that I may never have otherwise.
  • The ability to hang in the lobby and bond with everyone much better.
  • Deepening some of my online relationships was a wonderful experience and it felt great to have the quieter moments.
  • The cocktails! They were the most fabulous things, don’t worry I am a cheap date (as in just one drink is enough to make my head swim) but after 4 years of being pregnant, nursing, pregnant, nursing (and sometimes both) I was ready for some concoction to move along!

What I didn’t?

• The amount of private parties making it sound it be embarrassed to admit being invited or not (unless you are shamelessly gloating).
  • The greedy display of swag hunger.
  • The rude attitude of some party hosts, apparently under the delusion that they owned the earth or at least BlogHer.
  • Having to buy water, I caved in a bought a big bottle but it was something I made last right until the last day.
  • The lack of notices as to what party was held where (board signage).
  • BlogHer hosts/hostesses to help navigate your way around.
  • That I forgot to take pictures. I wanted to just relax but I simply got caught up in the moment and do wish I took more pictures.
  • Following lines. I skipped all the celebrity lines. I am not into following lines if I can skip it.It means I am not a Disney/Six Flags frequenter as I believe life is too precious to be spent waiting for something. It also meant I tried to avoid parties that seemed like you had to be the first 100 or something to get something, just not the stress I needed.
  • The fact that I stayed off-site at the Hyatt which I got on priceline for $60. A wonderful hotel but a schlep to  wander to and from.
  • Missing to hook up with so many of the twitter friends.
  • Feeling like a dinosaur  with my old non-iPhone phone and my crappy camera!
  • Having many of the sessions very basic, meant I opted out so I could network.
  • The celebrity status being given to some top bloggers. Maybe it is just a phase or maybe it has actually gone to their head. But when you introduce yourself and they realize that you’re a “nobody in bloggy world” they start scanning the area for better pickings.
  • The way some private dinners with clients are allotted to (top) bloggers who have never put out a post on them and while the rest of us has.
  • The schwag and the wastage thereof. Seriously the thought of all that paper and plastic makes me ill. I just gave away most of the stuff since the cost of shipping did not justify paying the shipping (or baggage at the airport).

Will I be there next year? You betcha! New York BlogHer’10 here I come!

Tags: , , ,

Thanks for a real and honest summary of blogher09. You know how feel about the rude bloggers. When you come to NYC for blogher10 I’ll make you you meet some great and friendly bloggers…like me =)

Lisa says:

You wrote: “The celebrity status being given to some top bloggers. Maybe it is just a phase or maybe it has actually gone to their head. But when you introduce yourself and they realize that you’re a “nobody in bloggy world” they start scanning the area for better pickings.”

–I so agree with this one. There’s alot of “experienced” bloggers that think they are the “best” and when they meet, for instance a blogger like me (a newbie), they walk away to find someone “better”. I think that’s a shame because they just missing out on a great, sincere and honest person. Not only that, but that is showing the newbies that they are full of sh*it and are being unprofessional.

Well, That’s my opinion on this.

By the way, I love your article.

Niri, I loved meeting you! You were totally gorgeous in that red sari, too. I loved it.

I also want to say that this is one of the best summaries I’ve read about BlogHer. I totally agree with everything you wrote, and I hope you’ll forward your suggestions to the organizers. :)

Kris Cain says:

Great article! You summed it pretty very well. I will be writing a post at some point today… maybe. LOL!! I don’t have much to write about. I live in Chicago but did not register for BlogHer so I just hit a couple of parties.

I regret that I did not hang out for the whole thing, so I will definitely be in NYC next year! :)

Interesting summation. I’ve been blogging for 2 years and part of the…well all of thereason behind not advertising or getting involved on the community/advertising level has had to do with not wanting to feel like the uncool kid in high school at 36! Though, the good stuff and that funky little dance routine made me a bit envious…and you did say cocktails too…hmmm.

I just loved you, Niri!

I agree with your lists above, good job.

I hope we can continue to be friends offline as well as online for years to come. :)

John Kim says:

Great lists – meeting you at the conference was on my own, “What I loved about BlogHer” list

Kristin says:

I love this! So honest!!!!

soapbox mom says:

Lovely summary, Niri.

I am so glad I had the chance to spend some time with you. You’re truly a special person. The time spent with you made my going to BlogHer worthwhile.

Thank you for being you!

Great post about Blogher. I have to agree with a lot of what you wrote. I shamelessly tagged along with a few of the friends I met to a few parties that I didn’t even know about. Silly me I though you just went to one party during a given time. LOL I felt very out of place most of the time, but did get to meet a lot of great people. I found out later that I had asked a very popular blogger (I didn’t know her but evidently I should have) to take a picture with me b/c she was so tall. I have read how people wanted to try and talk to her later. I guess had I know what a “big” blogger she was..I would have never asked. LOL But she was nothing but nice and I love the picture of 3 of us tall bloggers. It can feel just like high school can’t it?

I am so glad that we got to hang out the first night. Getting swept away was fun. After that first night we only saw each other in passing but lady you were everywhere! I don’t know how you did it all I could say is “there she goes!” You certainly made the most of your time away and I can’t wait to see you again in a few months.

Dr. Gwenn says:

Great bumping into you at BlogHer!

I couldn’t agree with you more with your comments, especially the “celebrity blogger” comments. I feel those are more “popularity” lists and have more to do with the PR firms and who is making more sales than anything.

As a doc/healthcare blogger, I can’t participate in many of the PR sorts of things or even give-aways on my blog or I’d seriously jeopardize my ability to practice medicine. I blog to make a difference and connect with cool people…not to party and get free stuff at conferences. I was seriously disappointed at the swag-mania, the back turning, and the over the top drinking.

That said, the “A-list” people were missing out. I was able to meet so many really great bloggers who, like all of us, were there for the connections and to find a way to make the blogosphere more meaningful to our readers.

I hope we get to bump into each other sooner than the next conference – since we’re local, let’s grab lunch or dinner in the fall and stay in touch!

As for BlogHer 2010, NYC is sure hard to pass up :)

Gwenn

Lia says:

Nice to see your thoughts on Blogher and the conference must of been a fun time

Greetings.

Really interested in reading this, as considering whether or not to come to Blogher ’10….. yes from Ireland!

Seems a daunting prospect, but as we will be in US at the right time (Boston and Cape Cod for 3 week vacation) and have negotiated a couple of nights away from the family to attend if I want, I am now having cold feet.

Would you recommend it? If I come will you say “hi”?

All the way from Ireland and it time for BlogHer 10? That would be fate, right? I am biased but I think YES, come and of course I would more than say hello, we can grab coffee.