Friday 5: 5 Household Chores That I Absolutely Hate!FRIDAY 5 | Nirasha Jaganath | June 5, 2009 at 8:04 pm
Ok, ok I know Mommy Niri is the latest she has ever been in publishing her Friday 5 series for this week, but truth of the matter is Mommy Niri badly needed some SLEEP. Now those who know me well that I am not one to ever choose sleep over blogging but I guess my late night in NYC with some of my blogging buddies at the Diane Birch CD release party (and you thought Mommy Niri was not cool?) and all night drive back caught up with me.
I know no-one likes housework (and if you do then what is wrong with you?) but I am sure everyone has certain tasks that they absolutely detest.
- Emptying the dishwasher. I can wash a sink full of dishes but packing away the clean dishes from the dishwasher is another thing. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have a kitchen with little storage space so I am never sure where to pack (shove) the dishes. Or perhaps it is the fact that the dishwasher is as old as my grandma and has ruined many a good plate.
- (Re)sorting The Recycles. I am adamant about recycling and keep a separate container in the home for recycling. Even my 2 year old knows to check whether it is trash or recycle (though to hear her saying recycle is the cutest thing ever). Hubby decides to “help” me and empty the recycle items into the big recycle drums (I did say we were big recycle fans) but he does it wrong (obviously) and mixes them somehow. Luckily the kids are indoors as I end up using some level of profanities as I am elbow deep in between sorting them out.
- Cleaning up straw bottles after the leftover milk has curdled. Yuck! Seriously, I know it is just spoiled milk and as a mom I should not be grossed as I have seen worse, but still.. Yuck! I hate cleaning the straw part of the bottle, and if I am too lazy (or in a rush, which I normally am since I am always running late ) to use bleach, then I end up using ear buds to get the disgusting remnants out.
- Cleaning out the fridge. I am what you call a pack-rat for leftovers. I hate food wasted so I pack everything in the fridge. Blame it on my South African upbringing of being told “There are starving children and you are wasting food?” which leads to me storing food but never checking on them. No need to say my fridge is a place where angels fear to tread.
- Cleaning up smooshed food from the carpet. Somehow, no matter how hard I try (and trust me I do try) the kids manage to get some moist food on the carpet. And before you can blink they step onto it, ensuring that is nicely ingrained in my already stained carpet. Worse still, sometimes I step into it.