Friday 5: What Not To Do This Mother’s Day!FRIDAY 5, PARENTING | Nirasha Jaganath | May 1, 2009 at 1:46 pm
As part of the Mommy Niri Friday 5 Series, I am going to focus on Mother’s Day. Yes, I know it is a week away but that is enough time to get the hints going to hubby dear. Better yet, use the Share This option at the bottom of this page and send him a copy. As a note I will be celebrating Mother’s Day this entire month with fabulous giveaways and articles, and before you guys (or guy, my hubby may be the only guy that reads this … well he had better be reading this) think that I have forgotten you, June has already lined up some fabulous stuff too. Let’s focus on what not to do this Mother’s Day:
1. Don’t say “I don’t believe in Mother’s Day” or worse “You are not my mother”. Unless you have a super comfy couch in the house don’t even go there. I don’t even need to explain this one other than to say it is tacky.
2. Don’t buy her kitchen appliances, unless specifically asked. I am not saying don’t ever buy her just not for important occasions, I could explain but is it really worth it? Just take my word on it.
3. Don’t buy clothing, perfume, makeup etc unless you are (absolutely) certain of sizing, color, brand (and taste). I just received a (very expensive) gift of makeup from a relative (that is barely kept in touch with) and it is sitting on my dresser collecting dust, waiting for a new home.
4. Don’t buy her tools or a gift you meant for yourself. And you thought we did not notice.
5. Don’t feel that you have to spend a lot to impress. It really is the thought (deep thoughts not just fleeting thoughts) that count.
If all else fails just ask her. Remember flowers, jewelry and chocolates are seldom a bad idea, but any small thing you notice about her likes when buying or making a gift will be truly appreciated. A big hint, we moms are total suckers when you involve the kids in gift /card creating or choosing.
What’s your pet peeve or favorite gift?