Too Busy To Be Busy?

PARENTING | | December 10, 2008 at 8:26 pm

In a time when it is super cool to be busy and everyone is in a hurry, I have found the truly “busiest” people always have time. I cannot fathom why we now have games like UNO and Monopoly speed versions? What happened to board games just being something you play to relax and unwind? Where is everyone in a rush to get to anyhow? I used to be in the rat race but then I decided I did not want to be a rat anymore. Now you call anyone and they will only be too pleased to relate their busy lives as if that equates somehow to their importance. The other annoying factor is the attitude that SAHM – Stay At Home Moms, have all the time on their hands, is totally untrue (Read my post on What Not To Say To SAHM for more details).

Some time back on the day of my mom’s funeral I was shocked to see hoards of people throng to be there. I could not understand how my mom knew so many people but I was pleased that she took the time to impact lives. I stopped my workaholic lifestyle immediately and began to absorb life. It certainly took death to teach me about life. Now I take the time to keep up with people and when they tell me that they have no idea how I have the time, I tell them I MAKE the time. No-one has time, we allocate time to what we believe is important and at the top of our list should be people and relationships.

All is not lost as I have come across several exceptional people who do many amazing things but most importantly make you feel like you are the most important person when they speak to you. They carve time and work around your busy schedule to arrange time (even though their own schedules are choc-ful of stuff). Here are just a few of my favorite people. The first is Kit August, a Breast Cancer survivor – state winning artist, holder of several technology patents, actress, musician and currently studying toward her Phd.

The next is Rita Shah, a mommy to two wonderful, level headed girls, President of IAGB (Indian Association Of Greater Boston), on the Board of Saheli (A women’s organization focussed on domestic violence and women empowerment), assists the local police cross cultural and language barriers, is on the local religious organization board, a volunteer teacher at the Shishu Barathi School (a language and cultural school) and also involved in the travel and insurance industry. Last, but not least, is Christina Bentley, a SAHM of two awesome boys, a blogger, runs an online store for baby clothing, and get this, sews all of that clothing, also she runs the Wilmington area Stroller Strides and even runs a meetup group for mommies.

You women inspire me and I hope that more people take the time to make the time for people. Are you too busy these days?

Tags: , ,

BePe Baby says:

You don’t give yourself enough credit. You are home with two beautiful girls who are active and thirsty for life and you fulfill that every day for them. You blog, facebook, twiter, email, participate in mothers groups and are all over the place with the girls for activities. You have made time for me too :)

joycie says:

yup, busy. but not too busy to read your blog or take a couple snowboarding trips this winter. PRIORITIES! :)

Sonali says:

Very nice and inspiring. Sometimes we became so self centered that we forgot that others have more demanding and aggresive schedule and I agree with BePe baby, you dont give yourself enough credit. You are like a role model mom for me.

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom says:

I have also lost a parent and can appreciate how losing someone (especially pretty early in life) so close and important to you can impress the importance of relationships on a person.

I find that the people that spend the most time telling me how busy they are tend to tie that business directly to how important they are. THAT is not something I have time for ;)

My Dad’s viewing had to be extended due to the number of people who attended, some I knew very well, and others I’d never met that came and took the time to tell me the many ways my father had impacted their lives. I just hope I can be half as giving of myself in my life.

GREAT post! :)

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom says:

GREAT post! :)

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom says:

GREAT post! :)

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom says:

GREAT post! :)

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom says:

GREAT post! :)

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom says:

GREAT post! :)

Thanks guys. I know time is precious, so I really appreciate you taking the time to read and more importantly share your thought and experiences. I am definitely a “work in progress”. It is hard to stay on track but I know I will try!

Andamom says:

I think you know my answer to this one… because you see the results of my multi-tasking. My work eats up the vast majority of my time and energy these days and usurps my creativity as well. Yet, I’m a parent of a teen and a toddler, a wife, actively participate in a community garden, blog/twitter/FB/LJ, serve as the keeper of both my and my husband’s family tree, and lead the community service activities for my division in New York. I realized though that I cannot keep up with SAHMs – but that’s okay with me most of the time. One of the things that does frustrate me is not having enough down time – to figure out what I want to come next.

Ramesh says:

Its scary that many of us are so busy in the rat race that we don’t even know what we are running after.